Look yummy? Click the pic for the recipe!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Dinner Date at Sage

My husband and I had a rare treat last night...a date! My mom was nice enough to watch the fishies while we went out to dinner and then bowling with some friends. For dinner, we chose to go to a favorite restaurant of ours, Sage Urban American Grill. It is located in St. Louis, right next to the Anheuser Busch brewery.
Sage was hopping when we arrived, so the hostess directed us to a nice booth at the bar. We started off with a few cocktails and my husband was ecstatic when the bartender was heavy-handed with his whiskey on-the-rocks. I decided to go for a nice summer drink and ordered coconut rum with pineapple juice. Mom and dad's night out was off to a great start!
We decided to split an appetizer and my sweet hubby let me pick. I chose the Vietnamese spring rolls with shrimp. The thought of a cold refreshing spring roll filled with crunchy carrots, soft noodles, perfectly sauteed shrimp, and the herbaceous combination of basil, cilantro, and mint had me drooling with anticipation. I was definitely NOT disappointed when the 4 beautiful pieces arrived. They were accompanied by a delicious peanut sauce with a bit of a kick. I have to admit that even after the spring rolls were gone, I kept dipping my fork into the addicting sauce.
Next, came the entrees. Before I go to a restaurant, I almost always check their website to scope out the menu. Since I did this the day before we went, I already had an idea of what I would order (unless the specials swayed me in a different direction). My husband picked the seafood special for the night: blackened escolar served over fettucine with mussels, red pepper, and chipotle butter sauce. I excitedly ordered the applewood-smoked pork tenderloin, served with creamed corn, sauteed spinach, chipotle cheddar mashed potatoes, and crispy shoestring potatoes.
When our plates arrived, my husband and I both immediately leaned over our plates to smell the deliciousness. I couldn't wait to dig in! My pork had a great smoky flavor and was perfectly moist and tender. The creamed corn was so sweet and fresh - not heavy at all. The chipotle cheddar mashed potatoes were perfectly creamy and the shoestring potatoes added the perfect amount of texture to the dish. The spinach was perfectly cooked and provided a nice light taste to break-up the richness of everything. My husband's dish was fabulous as well. The fettucine was served with four mussels surrounding the plate and a rather large piece of escolar on top. The fish was one of the moistest pieces of fish I've ever tasted and the chipotle butter sauce was just the right complement to the seafood.
At this point, we had both finished our entire plates and were so stuffed that we had zero intentions of ordering dessert (even though we both have a sweet tooth). One of the best parts about Sage, though, is their mini-desserts. When our waitress approached the table with a tray of oversized shot glasses filled with all different kids of yumminess, we knew we couldn't resist. The size of the shot glasses was probably equivalent to the only room left in our stomachs and for $2, who could say no? I decided on the decadent chocolate truffle and my husband (aka the cookie monster) chose the cookies and cream. My dessert was rich chocolate cake layered with whipped cream and chocolate ganache...heaven! My husband's dessert was basically a cookies and cream mousse. He was so thrilled that it tasted exactly like an Oreo.
By the time we left, I was so happy that I had worn a dress; if I had on anything with a button, it would most definitely had been undone as soon as we got in the car. The food and service were excellent and we will most definitely be going back to Sage again and again. Thank goodness we went bowling afterward so I could burn off some of those calories!

No comments:

Post a Comment